Yesterday at the gym while I was doing RPM (cycling) I teared cause I got touched by a secular (worldly) song. While this was written for a lover, I was able to relate to it as it was exactly how I felt about Jesus. The song used was “My life would suck” by Kelly Clarkson and the lyrics goes like:
Maybe I was stupid for telling you goodbye
Maybe I was wrong for trying to pick a fight
I know that I’ve got issues
But you’re pretty messed up too
Either way I found out
I’m nothing without you
‘Cause we belong together now, yeah
Forever united here somehow, yeah
You got a piece of me
My life (my life) would suck without you.
Listening to the lyrics, I remembered all my accomplishments that used to be my source of pride:
- I started the 1st pseudo student council in Arellano university during HS
- I got my first real job at 18 at first year college
- I was the youngest head the faircom at 18 and set the record for the most profitable and most attended fair of DLSU to date.
- I set my mind on making my 1st millionaire at 18 but achieved it at 21, Still a feat nonetheless.
- I composed a song that sold triple platinum.
- I’ve toured around the world.
- There was a time people would fly me as far as London, US, Middle east to shoot.
- I was awarded top 5 wedding supplier for 3 consecutive years.
- I started and headed several companies that can now brag to be top in the industry.
- I started to teach computer when i was in Highschool for Manna Soft and now I’m licensed to teach several workshops, First Aid and diving under PADI & SDI and I can teach photography and event courses.
These were just a few of my long list of accomplishments… I was on top of my game and I never thought I needed God. People used to say I had the midas touch and that anything I placed my attention to and touched would surely turn to gold.
And now, I am (just) a pastor of a very small start up church in a poor community in Sta. Mesa. It will not be a shock to me if I find out that my old friends will wonder what happened to me or that I’m a “Has been” or “Laos” or some may even pity me in my situation.
During the recent Wedding Expo bridal fair, my couple for next year approached me and said that they heard something that concerned them a bit. Whenever other suppliers would ask who their photographer was and they said it was John Mateos Ong they would exclaim “Nagshoshoot pa ba yun?” and then they asked if there was anything they should be worried about. So I explained to them that yes, 2 years ago I got burnt out and decided to stop shooting but that phase was over and now I’m back.
So there… should there be people thinking or even pitying me that now I am (Just) a pastor. Please don’t because the lyrics to the song above is exactly how I feel. If ever there was any regret in my life, I would only have one, it would only be that I wish I had met the Lord at an earlier age so I could do more for him and yes compared to how I feel today “My life did suck without Jesus!”.
During our wedding, we had our ring engraved with the words “In Christ alone”. If you know the boy band Back Street Boys one of its singer Brian Littrel wrote the song with that title that speaks exactly about this:
Together our rings form the words – IN CHRIST ALONE
In Christ alone will I glory
Though I could pride myself in battles won
For I’ve been blessed beyond measure
And by His strength alone I’ll overcome
Oh, I could stop and count successes like diamonds in my hands
But those trophies could not equal to the grace by which I stand
In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory
Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope
Is Christ alone
Here is the video link incase you’re interested to see the song.
If you have not yet surrendered everything to Jesus… I don’t care how rich, powerful, influential, famous or great you are – your life sucks compared to a life with Him.